Is it safe to rabies vaccination after 10 to 20 minutes from refrigeration?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Infections
Question: Hello doctor I was licked by a dog on a healed wound and I took rabies vaccines on day o 3 7 and 14 now I am am waiting for 28th dose.I bought all the vaccines from AN MEDICAL STORE AND IT WAS SOME DISTANCE AWAY FROM THE HOSPITAL.it took me some 10to20 minutes to bring the vaccines and I put it immediately after reconstitution, I asked the doctor who put me these vaccines about the expiry of vaccine and whether it will be effective since it was put 10 to 20 mts to put the vaccine after taking out of refrigerator but I put it immediately after reconstitution. My doctor said I should not think like this and this is very irrational thinking and said nothing is to worry since I put it immediately after reconstitution. Please help me doctor with my queries.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rabies anxiety Detailed Answer: Hi. I understand your concerns. At present you are completely surrounded by anxiety around rabies whether you will acquire rabies even after vaccination. With this anxiety and fear you have these queries. My answer is 'NO'. You will not acquire rabies. Your mode of administration was perfect and the way it was delivered after the reconstitution has no odds of failure of the vaccine.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 19 minutes later
Thank you doctor and one more question I was started with vero rab and at 3rd dose the vero rab was not available and I searched for it everywhere but it was not available and so I put the rabipur vaccine and doctor said it is ok to change between cell culture vaccines and they do it if because of unavailability or allergy to One of vaccines. SO I put the day 3 dose the next day approximately 10-12 hours after the scheduled time. And my doctor readjusted the schedule and I put 7th and 14th dose a day later than scheduled date. My doctor said not to worry and said the first three doses of vaccine can be given plus/minus one day of the scheduled date as I was very anxious I asked him again and again and he even showed me a letter that was written by some higher medical person and it stated there that the vaccine can be given pluss or minus one day of the scheduled date. I even asked a doctor here at this site and he too said that one day or slightly deranged schedule Will not make a difference. One more thing I suffer from ocd. Your thoughts pls.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: I agree with both the doctors. Detailed Answer: Hi, I agree with the doctor who vaccinated and the other doctor whom you asked on this site. Actually this event had triggered an OCD event. I think you should see your Psychiatrist immediately.
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 7 minutes later
So I put the rabies 10to 20 mts after taking out from refrigirator I had delayed the schedule by one day but adhered to it completely after the revised schedule and I put the 3rd 7th 14th vaccines one day after the scheduled date. I interchanged the rabies vaccine and changed from vero rab which I took at the first dose And changed to rabipur for 3rd 7th 14th doses. So all these will not affect my vaccine effect rite? I will not get rabies if I put the 5th dose on 28th day rite?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 15 hours later
Brief Answer: NO reason to worry. Detailed Answer: All the above will not affect your vaccine effectiveness. You will not get rabies if you put the 5th dose on 28th day. Do not worry about rabies and take that away from your mind. Try to get some relaxation. As I said you should meet your Psychiatrist once again.