Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Is it safe to increase Amitriptyline dosage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1853 Questions
Can you please tell me whether I may increase Amitriptyline from 25 mg to 50mg?
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Amitryptiline used for anxiety, depression and unexplained pain complaints. You are already Effexor 300mg/day, wellbutrin 300mg/day and buspar 30mg/day. Which is also used same purpose. Amitryptiline cause sedation, dry mouth, constipation, ataxia and cardiac side effects. Which is more in old age. Considering your current treatment I would advice you, not to increase its doses. Apart from that you are taking wellbutrin SR 2 tab in morning. It is better if you take it in divided doses, like one in morning and one in night due to short duration of action. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor