Is it safe to have vaginal pessary during pregnancy?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: My wife, she is 17 weeks, 4 days pregnant now.. by mistake she swallowed ClinGen Tablet 1 hr back.. will it affect baby or pregnancy ?? should we need to rush to hospital ?

Clingen - CLingamycin & Clotrimazole Vaginal Suppositories
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Safe drug,no effect on fetus or pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I understand your concern.

Clingen vaginal pessary is absolutely safe in pregnancy with no known side effects on the fetus.

Its commonly given first line drug during pregnancy to treat infection and to avoid preterm labor.

So do not worry.

You need not be anxious.

Post your further queries if any,

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 3 hours later
Thanks for the response. Would like to double confirm... The tablet was asked to keep in vagina path... But mistakenly she swallowed like regular tablets... So swallowed it one time will not cause any problem for baby right ??
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
There will not be any effect due to the drug.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

Welcome again,

Nothing to worry.

Generally this tablet can be given both orally and vaginally.

Vaginal route is more effective than oral route in treating the infection,so generally given vaginal.

So do not worry.

By now even the drug metabolism would be almost over in your wife.

So to conclude there will not be any affect on fetus as well as outcome of the pregnancy with a single tablet.

Post your further queries if any,

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj