question-icon

Is it safe to have steroids while suffering from low platelet count?

Posted on Tue, 19 May 2015
Question: In treatment for low platelet count <5 now 135 early test of liver & bone marrow good discovered swelling in spleen area maybe from. Heavy lifting? But unknown why enlarged had ply injections steroids & predizone treatment on going
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi (12 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You may have immunothrombocytopenia.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question.
I can understand your concern.
Your platelet count is very low and it is increased by taking steroids. You may have immuno thrombocytopenic purpura( ITP).

In ITP there is immune mediated destruction of platelets count. Immunosuppressive drugs like steroids are helpful. So you should take it according to advise.

You spleen is enlarged due to some other cause. Itis not due to weight lifting.

Please send me your complete blood count and bone marrow examination repoets fpr further help.

Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.
Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist