Is it safe to have sex after an ankle dislocation?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I dislocated my ankle and broke my fibula 5 weeks ago. I had surgery to put a plate and screws in my fibula. I have a cast below my knee and cannot weight bear for 2 more weeks. It feels good, the odd ankle pain. Can my wife and I have sex? Thinking we could if I do not put any pressure on the ankle.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can have sex with you lying on your back

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Usually it takes 6 weeks for most bones to heal. If you haven't been asked to bear weight yet that means the healing is still taking place and you need to be careful.

If I may suggest, you can have sex in less physically straining positions like lady on top and the like, which involves you lying on your back and not putting your ankle through any pressure. Avoid other sexual positions which involve you on your knees or legs.

Once your Doctor allows you to bear weight, you can take it to the next level with caution.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 10 hours later
Thank you

I go to my next appointment on Monday, October 26. This will be just under 7 weeks since surgery. He said if all goes well I may be able to FWB and start physio. May need a walking boot.

I attached my Xray. How do you think it looks?. That xray was taken on Sept.21. (surgery was Sept.9).

Have you heard a knee scooter? This is a scooter where you put you bad knee on it and use good knee to get around. Do you think I could use this?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good fixation in xray

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

The Xray looks fine. Good fixation.

Start weight bearing as per your Doctor's advice.

I don't think you need a knee scooter because you will get better soon and you can resume your normal activities. The cast may be removed soon.

I hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 17 hours later
Thank you.

I was just worried because when I looked at the xray the fibula bone looked like it was misaligned. However, was told it will heal. Just wanted second opinion.

I have a cast below the knee. When I get ready in the morning I place my knee of the bad leg with cast on a chair to give myself balance. Is this okay? The break is lower in my leg.

What would you suggest to help the healing process? Supplements, exercise?

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eat a healthy diet

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

There is no problem on keeping the knee as support.

The healing process can be accelerated if you eat a healthy diet rich in Calcium like eggs, yoghurt, chicken, lean meat.

I hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 21 hours later
I have another question.

When I go out and walking with my crutches and holding my bad leg up, my toes are really red a numb. They go down when I sit and elevate leg. Is this normal? It has been 4 week since surgery.

When will they get to the same color as my other foot?

Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tight cast

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

This could be due to a possible tight cast around your ankle.

If you are experiencing pain and swelling it is wise to consult your Doctor and get the cast revised.

I hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj