Is it safe to have intercourse after anal fistula plug insertion surgery?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: Dear Doctor ,

Just i had anal fistula plug insertion surgery + external pile removal from two weeks ago ( fistula brand is Gore bio-fistula plug ) and still there is little pain improving with time and managing with pain killers

I want to ask three questions :

Is it safe to have sex relationship with my wife this time ?

When the drainage expected to stop because still i have absces drainage and putting gauze everyday ?

When can i join my work again and what relax period you recommend ? ( note : i have office work and need to set on my office chair of about 8 hours per day )

And is there any further advice for my case ( if any )
Waiting for your reply

Thanks in advance

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

1. Sex relationship is safe and there is no contraindications if it wont involve much physical activity.
2. Usually the discharge from such fistula stops in a week or two. Generally you should see an improvement day by day as there should be decreasing amount of discharge.
3. Usually physical activity should be limited in the first two weeks after the surgery. I suggest you to have a month off the work as the healing process may vary. In this first two weeks you should avoid heavy lifting, no sports, no lenghty car driving.
You should also take care about your bowel movements. You should increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake. No fatty foods or spicy foods. You should have regular bowel movements and if nit present, some laxatives might be helpful.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.