Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Is it safe to have a 2nd child after first one is 4 and a half months by cesarean section ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
I am looking at having another child. I have a 4 and a half month old baby and would like to try for another one soon. I know most recommend 12-18 month wait, due to possibility for uterine rupture. Since I would be having another ceserean section, would it be safe to start trying for another child now? My first was breech, which is why I had a ceserean section. Seeing as I would not be a candidate for VBAC, what would be the major risks for having another one so soon? Thanks!
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 8 hours later

Thanks for the query.

You can wait till 6 months as chances of uterine dehiscence are more within one year.

You will have to go for the elective c-section second time.

If your age is more than 35 then you can plan a second baby just now but keeping regular follow ups and strict observation under your Obstetrician.

Any further query is most welcome.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor