Is it safe to have Mirtazapine along with Clonazepam at same time?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 5 Nov 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: My doctor has prescribed clonazepam 0.5 mg twice a day for anxiety for the past one week and on last Friday he ordered mirtazapine 15 mg, one tablet at bedtime for depression/ sleep in lieu of zolpidem tartrate 10 mg which I have been taking for sleep but did not find very effective. The literature on mirtazapine instructs to avoid taking diazepam ( clonazepam)or similar medicines while taking mirtazapine. Can I take both medications if there is a gap of 4 to 6 hours between taking the two medications? I could reach my doctor over the weekend. I am a female, 54 years of age.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes you can take without hesitation

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms. XXXXXXX

Clonazepam used in anxiety at 0.25 to 0.5 mg doses while 1 - 2 mg can be used for sleep.Depending upon severity of anxiety symptoms and sleep disturbance we try and titrate the dose.

Miratazapine is an SNRI group of medicines helpful in depression particularly if the age is more than 50. It has also some sedative property so we generally give it at night and some patients do not need other medicine for sleep if they are on mirtazapine. That's why you have read somewhere that mirtazapine and benzodiazepine should not be given together to prevent over sedation.

However in clinical practice we use both together at night when sleep disturbance is more and we do not find any difficulty.

Considering your history and age you can take both as prescribed by your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr. Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D