Is it safe to have Metrogyl 400 for loose smelly stools?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Fri, 30 Jan 2015 in General Health
Question: I am having loose and smelly stools, can I took metrogyl 400? I have just taken one doze of metrogyl 400. Should I continue? I am 42 years old female. I had polyps in uterus earlier but DNC has taken care of that. Also I am diabetic, hypertension and hyperthyroid. I am controlling the same with medicines. Presently, having stone in right Kidney. My creatinine is 2 mg/dl. The size of stone is 13 mm. Slightly uric acid is high too. It is 8 mg/dl. Urine shows triple phosphate crystals. No sign of bacteria. Pus cells 2 to 3. Rbcs 6 to 8.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stop the medication, consult the doctor

Detailed Answer:

Metrogyl is one of the best medication for loose stools. Considering your kidney condition I would suggest you to stop the medication and consult your treating doctor. Metrogyl can get accumulated in the kidney disease and side effects could be worse.

Using antibiotics inadvertently without any medical supervision in kidney disease is very dangerous.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.