question-icon

Is it safe to have Gabapentin for neuropathy with history of enodmetrial cancer?

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015
Question: Hi I am a cancer patient, endometrial cancer uterus, I am 1 year post chemo/radiation I have chronic pain and new neuropathy I have recently been prescribed gabapentin when I researched this medication I found brief notation that it caused uterine cancer in rats can not find this information again to discuss with my oncologist and can't find the information again do you have any information regarding this? Thanks Roxanne
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh (11 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No this is not of concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi
thanks for your query.

Gabapentin is quite safe and an often used drug for neuropathy. It does not cause cancer in humans. Cancer in rats always does not correlate with cancer in humans.

You can safely take this drug.

Hope this helps.
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh (34 minutes later)
Thank you this does help
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh (4 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
If you don't need any further clarifications then please close the query and give feedback.
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist