• question-icon

Is it safe to have Benedryl while having Propranolol for anxiety?

Posted on Sat, 3 Jan 2015 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: i have been taking propanonol about a month for anxiety. 10 mg in morn, 5 mg afternoon and 10 mg before bed. is it ok if i take benedryl before bed too? i think it would help me sleep?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sure you can

Detailed Answer:

benadryl can be taken with propranolol since there is no significant interaction between them. Please note that benadryl is an antihistamine drug which means that this drug is used against allergic reactions. This is not intended to be used as a sleeping pill, although it does cause drowsiness and might help you to sleep.
If you do take it, please abstain from alcohol and other central nervous system drugs because it may produce an additive sedating effect with them. Also please avoid exposing yourself to danger for falls and avoid driving!

I hope I've helped!
If you'd like more information, please let me know. I'll be glad to answer.

Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 49 minutes later
my dr perscribed me propranolol 10mg 3 times a day. i started taking 5mg 3 times a day bcuz i just got off an antidepressant that stopped working and gave me terible withdraws and i was scared to start taking another med. yesterday i started taking 10mg in morning and 5mg afternoon and 10mg before bed and its been making me lightheaded. is this normal and if so how long should it last
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check your pulse rate and blood pressure

Detailed Answer:

propranolol is actually a drug for the cardiovascular system. It's used sometimes to cover the sympathetic nervous system effects of anxiety like palpitations, heavy breathing etc This drug lowers the pulse rate and the blood pressure. If either of them is lower than normal it may cause the lightheadedness you've mentioned.
A safe limit is around 55-60 beats per minute for the pulse rate. The blood pressure is not supposed to cause serious trouble unless it drops below 90mmHg (systolic blood pressure). It may cause orthostatic hypotension though, which means that your blood pressure may drop abruptly when sitting or standing from the recumbent position.
This drug's effects last for some hours.
Please check your blood pressure and pulse rate and contact me again, if needed.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 8 minutes later
all that is normal i was just wondering if the lightheadedness was mayb a side effect for raising the dosage?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it could be

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

I'm sorry if my previous answer was not that clear to you. Propranolol may cause lightheadedness with the mechanism that I've described (low pulse rate and low blood pressure). Check both to determine whether this is the cause or not. If this is the cause you can monitor them and alter your dose accordingly.
If your pulse rate and blood pressure are OK then the drug's effect on the central nervous system may be the cause.
I hope this is more clear this time!
If you'd like further clarifications, please do ask again.

Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis