• question-icon

Is it safe to go for bone marrow transplant for multiple myeloma?

Posted on Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Blood Disorders
Question: i am 47 yrs old diagonosed with multiple myolema in the month of may 2013. at that time m band was 7.2 and hb was only 7 After 5 cycles of velcade dexa and cyclo my report says "no m spike seen". my hb now is 15.I am currently on thalodimide 50 dexa and cyclo for the last one month My all other parameters are absoulately fine. Kindly guide me further course of action. Is it adviseable to go for BMT at this stage as i am perfectly alright at this moment Can the position be monitored on regular basis without BMT on maintenance therpy XXXX
Answered by Dr. Neha Sethi 20 hours later
Brief Answer: no need of BMT right now. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to XXXXXXX As from your reports and history, it does not seem that in your case BMT is needed at this stage. If you are able to tolerate the medicines mentioned by you, well then you can continue with the treatment under the vigilance of your treating doctor. Always weigh the pros and cons of each treatment. Do visit your doctor on time and if you notice any symptom then do report to your doctor. But for now you can carry on with the medicines, no need of BMT at present. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Neha Sethi 1 hour later
I was/am expecting the reply from specialist doctor having experience in this field i.e from oncologist or hematologist. please get it examined from some specialist doctor .also please let me know whether the current treatment of thalidomide 50 daily, dexa 20 mg weekly and cyclophospmine 500mg weekly are fine. I am expecting reply from specialized doctor
Answered by Dr. Neha Sethi 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: You should ask from a specialist. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX You posted your question in ASK A GENERAL PHYSICIAN column so you are getting this answer by me.For speciality you are supposed to ask the question directly from the specialist. Please upgrade your package to "Ask A specialist" and you can post the same query to a specialist. Every doctor at healthcare magic is a certified doctor and can answer queries. The treatment mentioned above is appropriate.But if you feel deterioration of any symptom then consult your doctor. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.
Dr. Neha Sethi