Owl Image

Is it safe to give solid food along with breast milk to a 5 month old?

Cardiologist
Question
Hi Doctor,
My baby will complete 5 months on Dec 3rd. My wife is working. Her office time is from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Before she leaves to office, she breast-feeds baby 2 to 3 times in the morning and once in the evening. After she leaves baby is fed with Ragi(once) and first bite(twice).We have tried givng her Lactogen but she is hesitant to take.
My question is;Is it Ok to give more solid food than Formula or breast milk.Will it give sufficient nutrition to my baby?
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 5 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
I am a medical specialist with a degree in cardiology. In my profession I have deal with many such situations therefore, I read your mail with diligence. Ideal situation will be a work place creche where mother can feed the child but you are doing your best. Keep your date with a pediatrician in well baby clinic regular so that deficiency of any nutrient can be found out. At home you can weigh your baby periodically and compare with ideal weight/height which can grossly tell you about protein and calories nutrition however neither it tells about micronutrients and nor it tells about some unavoidable hours of bonding you have to looose for the ultimately it is for baby's welfare the mother has to work.

Ideal height and weight of girls at different ages

AGE
WEIGHT (kg)
HEIGHT (cm)

Birth
3.3
50.5

3 months
6.0
61.1

6 months
7.8
67.8

9 months
9.2
72.3

If there is further query which you might have I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes:

Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD (Medicine) DM(Cardiology)
Cardiologist and Internist
http:/ WWW.WWWW.WW PS: Why you do not take initiative and help your wife start in her office workplace creche? Following reference from Newzealand is worth reading:
Workplace creche may help retain employees - New Zealand Herald
www.nzherald.co.nz/.../article.cfm?... -
28 May 2005 – Deciding whether to establish a workplace creche should be a simple equation for most employers. Can the cost be balanced by business