Is it safe to fly after a tooth extraction?

Dr. Anshumala Singh

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Dental Health
Question: We are flying on Saturday afternoon to Alaska, and my traveling companion is having a tooth extracted tomorrow (Thursday) at 8:30 AM under general anesthetic. His dentist is saying he can't fly Saturday because of potential tooth pain and bleeding. We are flying on commercial jets with full pressurization.

I'm reading that this is not true, because it will be sufficiently healed and there will be no tooth to have pain in. Is this true? If there are stitches, could they be taken out on Saturday morning, pending no complications?
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
advised to delay the extraction

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.
Thanks for sharing your concern.

After going through the history posted here,I can suggest you following things.

1.There is no contraindication to fly in air after a tooth extraction under local anesthetics,but under general anesthetics it has.

2.The extraction could be a very simple one or it might be a difficult extraction too,where more amount of bone cutting is required.In that case stitches are given to secure the wound.It can be seen in the X ray, for the amount of bone covering the tooth.

3.Intra orally stitches are removed only after three to five days,once the clot is formed.

4. Lastly,there are also chances of secondary infection and bleeding while flying due to reduced cabin pressure.

5.There is always a chance of aero odontalgia(tooth pain while in air) in fresh wound or sockets or even fillings.

Therefore in my view,it is better to go with your dentist view or if possible preponde or postponed the extraction.

Let me know for further doubts.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj