Is it safe to fly after a bowel resection surgery?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Had a bowel resection due to bowel obstruction on the 19th of XXXXXXX ,I had planned a holiday to Canada prior to op ,Bowel are working fine but a little nausea ,Is it of to fly? Can find an insurance company who are willing to cover me .

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
From medical point of view this may bit too early for some long trips since full recovery from such procedures is between 6-8 weeks. But if you ask me, flight has minor effect on intraabdominal organs and digestion so it shouldnt cause anything significant for your health. This recovery will be same in england and canada.
So I wouldnt say that it is forbidden to have flights and trips if you feel fine. Nausea is expected, but vomiting in first hour after food intake or absence of feces would be alarming signs and if this happens you should see doctor ASAP. Otherwise, just have easier food,drink more fluids and take antiemetic before flight. Wish you good health. Regrads