question-icon

Is it safe to exercise 24 hours before a PET scan?

Posted on Wed, 13 May 2015
Question: I am a type II diabetic. My readings in the morning are usually over 200. What can I take to assure a have a reading below 200 so I can have a PET Scan performed in the AM?
I understand you are not permitted to exercise 48 hours prior to the Pet Scan. I can usually lower my glucose levels with 30 minutes on the tread mill.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Insulin or Diamicron

Detailed Answer:
Good day,
Noted your concern.
As you correctly pointed out, diabetes need to be controlled before the PET scan. However, exercise ( streneous) should not be performd 24 hours ( not 48 hours) before the PET scan.

In short period, if you want to reduce blood sugar, in your case, best is to start on Insulin ( a basal insulin like Lantus). The next option would be to start on a pill like Diamicron in additon to Januvia and Metformin.
These may be stopped after PET scan.
Binu
Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist