Is it safe to consume whey protein while suffering from kidney stones?
I would like to know if consuming whey protein is bad for the kidneys. I have a history of kidney stones (I currently have 3 of them, 3 mm to 5mm in size) and am undergoing homeopathic treatment for that. I lift weights and would like to add muscle but due to the fear of kidney stones, I restrict my protein intake. Would it be alright if I took just one scoop of whey protein 3 days a week? I also drink 4 litres of water a day to ensure I stay hydrated.
Yes it is ok
Hi and thanks for your query.
In my opinion it is ok to take one scoop of whey protein 3 times a week.
To be on the safer side, start with even a lower dose. Maybe take one scoop per week for one month. If it is helping and not making stones worse, increase its dose to 2 scoops per week for one month.
Regarding drinking water, it is advised to drink as guided by the thirst. There is no need to drink excessive water especially by a sportsperson. Sweating causes loss of electrolytes and taking excessive water may make it worse.
Thirdly if you are drinking water to wash out stones, then it is ok.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Masturbating while passing a kidney stone
- Kidney stones and kidney flutter
- What is a protein kidney stone
- Amway protein powder is good for kidney stone
- Stone buster for kidney stones
- Nutrilite protein powder for kidney stones
- Suffering from kidney stones permanent solutions available
- Kidney stones inside the kidney
- Nutrilite protein can cause kidney stones
- Kidney stones treatment while pregnant