question-icon

Is it safe to change medication for high BP?

Posted on Tue, 5 Jul 2016
Question: I am a female, age 55. I take indapimide for blood pressure and furosemide. I take the furosemide maybe 5 days out of the week, but I take the indapmide everyday. I have been taking Gabapentin for leg pain due to sciatica (one time at night about 300mg). I also take Tramadol, 40mg for pain. I do not take either the Gabapentin or the Tramadol everyday, only as needed. My calcium level is at 11. My pth is in normal range. I do not have any symptoms due to my calcium level. I have done some research and some thiazide diuretics, like indapamide can cause eleveated calcium levels. I am going to speak with my doctor about a different blood pressure medication. My question is am I doing the right thing by changing from the indapimide to something else or is there another recommendation you would make. I need to get the calcium within normal range.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu (44 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Yes you are doing the right thing. You should discuss with your doctor about changing BP medications.

If you were my patient I would recommend to change indapamide with an ARB preparation such as ibersartan or losartan.

However since this is a medication which has some side effects you should discuss with your doctor.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist