question-icon

Is it safe for to use penile pump while on Pradaxa?

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014
Question: I am taking 150 size Pradaxa twice daily. Is it safe for me to use a penile pump with a blood flow restricting band to achieve and maintain an erection for intercourse-- only using enough suction to achieve a normal erection, NOT enough suction to attempt to increase penis size.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
You should consider other options.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

Pradaxa is used to prevent blood clots and to reduce the risk of stroke.
Because Pradaxa keeps your blood from coagulating to prevent blood clots,it increase the risk of bleeding even from a minor injury.
This is the reason why patient who are taking this drug are advised to avoid activities that may increase their risk of bleeding or injury.

A penis pump may not be safe if patients taking Pradaxa or other blood-thinners.
Anticoagulant therapy may cause the patient to develop bruising and swelling in the penis due to rupture of the superficial veins on the shaft of the penis resulting from the constriction ring.
In the patient who is not on anticoagulant therapy this trauma is uncommon and if it occurs usually resolves of its own .
In patients who are taking blood thinners is recommended to avoid the use of a vacuum device and they should be directed toward other treatments.

I suggest to consult your treating doctor before using the penile pump and discuss with him the risks of this device and other possible options to treat your erectile problem.
I am sure he can help you to chose the best safe option.

Hope my answer has helped.
If you have any other question,please feel free to write me,I will be happy to help.

Wish you all the best.
Regards.

Dr.Rovena Murati
Dr. Rovena Murati