Is it preferable for Bursa sac to heal before going for any remedial surgery in TKR?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 7 Sep 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a total knee replacement 15 months ago that has never completely healed. The knee has clicked every time the knee is flexed over 40 degrees since surgery which means no clicking when walking but clicking every other step going upstairs. Last month had prob bursa sac rupture behind TKR when climbing up n down 1 flight of stairs 20 times. Took 3 days to manifest symptoms of extreme swelling, intense muscle ache (soleus) and extreme calf muscle tightness (what I imagine a heart attack must feel like). DVT n partial muscle tear eliminated. Ache, some swelling n some muscle stiffness still continue even if I walk 1 mile (I was use to walking 1500 miles per yr b4 TKR). What's next? Replace a too lose PE spacer in the TKR causing irritation / slow recovery OR extended rest/ no non-essential walking (month? months?) to allow bursa sac to heal b4 the remedial surgery?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Let bursa sac heal first.

Detailed Answer:

After a ruptured bursa sac, it is better to take rest and let the bursa heal before going for the remedial surgery.

You can avoid non-essential walking and this ruptured bursa is likely to heal with rest in the next 2-3 weeks.

After that, the surgery can be planned as it will reduce the chances of further infection and inflammation of the bursa.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D