Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Is it possible to try Epley's procedure for positional vertigo?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 243 Questions
I am suffering from Positional Vertigo. This is the second episode in the last 2 months. I am taking Homeopathy medicines. But I want to try the Epleys procedure. Do you think I can do it by myself at home? Or can you suggest someone who can do it for me for the first time. Anybody in Mumbai?

The current episode has lasted 10 days now and even thought I seem to be getting better, it's not tapering off. I still suffer when I look up or look down or move too much.
Thu, 3 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) is a self-limiting (Benign), sudden (paroxysmal) Positional Vertigo.
Two maneuvers are carried out to provide immediate relief in BPPV:
(1)Epley maneuver: It is also known as the canalith repositioning procedure (CRP)(to help move loose particles in the area of inner ear to a better area) The CRP employs gravity to move the calcium build-up that causes the condition.
(2)Semont maneuver: In the Semont maneuver, patients themselves are able to achieve canalith repositioning.
Both treatments, when performed by a health professional, appear to be equally effective. When practiced at home, the CRP is more effective than the Semont maneuver.

The most effective repositioning treatment for posterior canal BPPV is the therapist-performed CRP combined with home practiced CRP.

You can see an ENT specialist for this , the doctor would examine you and would also help you with the above maneuvers, learn it from a health professional and later carry out the same procedure at home.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is it possible to try Epley's procedure for positional vertigo? 2 hours later
Last time I went to a ENT specialist, they did not know about it. That's why I was wondering if I can do this myself or if you can recommend a doctor in Mumbai, Andheri area.

Also, if I do this maneuver, I know for a fact that I am going to get very very dizzy as I do it. But should I still do it and take the risk of increasing the vertigo. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 30 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

1. If you are a confirmed case of BPPV, there is a home device available for the Epley's maneuver called DizzyFix. Call Mr. Vidyabhushan from Pika Medical Mumbai at +91 0000. It is priced at $ 140 (INR 6500).

2. If you want the exact diagnosis as to which semicircular canal is the cause, get an ENG (ElectroNystagmoGraphy) done.

3. Brandt-Daroff Exercises are the simplest to do at home. I would recommend the first Epley's maneuver be done under medical supervision because in some cases you may inadvertently convert a posterior canal into a anterior (lateral) canal BPPV which is more difficult to treat. You can see the videos of the way of exercises to be followed on WWW.WWWW.WW

4. Dizziness during the initial maneuvers is a sign that you are doing it correctly. The hallmark of BPPV is positional triggers, latency and short duration, intense vertigo. This type of vertigo is also fatigable, which means that it diminishes on repetition. Keep someone nearby while attempting maneuvers initially.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is it possible to try Epley's procedure for positional vertigo? 2 hours later
Thank you Doctor! You've given me very useful and precise information. I really appreciate that.

Now one last question - can you recommend a good ENT doctor in my area (Andheri West, Mumbai)? Someone who do these maneuvers?? Or even in any other area in Mumbai?

Are you located in Mumbai by any chance? And would you be able to do these maneuvers?

Thanks a lot, once again!
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 2 hours later

Thanks again.

You may contact one of the nearest ENT Surgeons, Dr. XXXXXXX Shenai, a student of mine, who is also currently President of the AOI (Association of Otolaryngologists of India) Mumbai West Branch. His contact numbers are: +91 0000 and +91 22 0000.

I am located in Pune. If you have any further queries, you may me on call +91 0000 0000.

Wish you good health!!!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor