Is it possible to treat herpes keratitis?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Sat, 19 Sep 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi,
The article about oral herpes says "The virus then can enter the eye's cornea * , causing a condition called herpes keratitis. This may lead to scarring of the eye and blindness if left untreated." But there is no treatment, so what it means " if left untreated".
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there is treatment

Detailed Answer:

herpetic keratitis does have treatment with antiviral drugs. The virus will be contained within a few weeks anyway (even without treatment). The treatment aims to reduce the damage inflicted by the virus.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 7 minutes later
My whole life oral herpes is active right now and it has spread to my whole face. Even one of my eyes is itching. My face is like burning. I don't see how this virus will be "contained". Varacyclovir up to 4g/day doesn't seem to work any more.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
most cases do

Detailed Answer:
Almost all cases of herpes get better within 2-3 weeks. The virus may reactivate from time to time though.

Please also take into account that multiple site involvement is not common and could be a sign of immunodeficiency. So if you have more than one nerve involved (your doctor should tell you that) then perhaps an immune status check is worth the trouble. Reviewing your medical history and doing some basic tests like HIV testing for example, would be a good place to start.

Kind Regards!