Is it possible to reverse the effects of Pilocarpine?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: how to reverse the effect of pilocarpine 1 % eye drop? px has bad reaction with that
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
conservative management

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
Pilocarpine drops will wash off from the body in less than 24 hours.If the reaction is severe then local anto allergic drops or local steroid drops are used.In case of more severe dermatitis oral short course of steroids is given.
If there are any further queries in this regRd please do get back to me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 17 minutes later
Am having severe headache, feeling nausea and have cold sweat.. should I take steroid oral form?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
under observation

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.
Headache may occur due Pilocarpine instillation but we have to rule out there is no other reason for a situation like this. Reasons may be cardiogenic,neyrogenic as well as gastrointestinal. Steroids here are used for allergic dermatitis.
What has been the time gap since instillation and have the symptoms starting to decrease now?
Maintain proper hydratin and get back to me with answers.
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 16 hours later
Ya. The symptoms of headache and nausea and sweating disappear after 5 hours of instilling the pilo.
Does it mean I am allergic to pilo? Or is there any other way to instill pilo properly to avoid headache?

Thanks
Celine
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
avoid pilocarpine.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.
What you described is a reasonably advance reaction.You can try a lower strength of pilo under observation but the reaction can always be more severe.
Since there are many other antiglaucoma products available but to constrict the pupil this almost the only frug available
There is always a small possibility that this was a coincidence and symptoms were due to something else so a repeat trial can be done but should be done under medical supervision and with a lower strength pilo.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T