Is it possible to resolve monoamine oxidase deficiency by controlling diet?
Thanks for your query.
You were prescribed mono amine oxidase inhibitors for hypertension which has caused reduction in its activity and the side effect produced was depression. If you stop taking these drugs your blood pressure might shoot up.
Before stopping these drugs, you can discuss with your physician to change your anti hypertensive to something else so that you do not have to suffer. There are other relatively safe anti hypertensives available.
Low normal thyroid can also be a reason of depression. If you stop taking MAO inhibitors your MAO levels will automatically come back to normal in 15 days and the symptoms of depression will subside within six weeks.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.
I never knew that Hyzaar was an MAOI .. Wow! I haven’t taken any since January 2011. Based on the immunologist’s feedback, my regular doctor switched me to a calcium channel antagonist Plendil then a beta blocker Concor but neither worked really well. Sometimes, my blood pressure would go too low.
Since mid-February 2011, I haven’t taken any HBP meds at all. I have been following a very strict amine-free diet and I am maintaining an average un-medicated blood pressure of 127/79 with a pulse of 76. I’m just very concerned about my monoamine oxidase being normalized so that it could perform as it should and not have me in these tyramine and thyroid dilemmas.
Seeing that more than 6 weeks have passed since stopping the Hyzaar, should I be doing something different now to activate my production of monoamine oxidase? I would really love to go on a carefree vacation during summer. Thank you so very much Doctor Tayal.
Thanks for writing back.
As you have stopped the medicine already the disbalance caused will come back to normal on its own after some time. Stop worrying so much and enjoy your vacation ahead.
Wish you good health
It's good to know that I will eventually normalize but at the same time it's worrisome not knowing when this will happen. For now, I guess I will have to continue the restricted amine-free, low GI, low sodium diet. I will also consider colon and liver cleansing to get any gunk out of my system. As for my vacation, it will have to be postponed to when I can eat freely and have energy to truly enjoy myself. Many thanks for your assistance. Have a nice day!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Drugs/medication for monoamine oxidase deficiency
- Side effect of Monoamine oxidase inhibitor
- Usage of Monoamine oxidase inhibitor
- Is it possible to reduce weight by controlling diet
- Monoamine oxidase a deficiency
- Treatment and cure for monoamine oxidase deficiency
- Diagnosis of monoamine oxidase deficiency
- Symptoms of monoamine oxidase deficiency
- Monoamine oxidase deficiency causes
- Monoamine oxidase supplement
- Sex after candid v3 treatment
- What causes breasts to shrink and invert nipples?
- What should i do for chest infection and high BP ?
- What should i do to know whether i am HIV infected ?
- Does increased smoking and alcohol intake during stress increase heart...
- Is it possible to resolve monoamine oxidase deficiency by controlling diet?
- Late menstrual cycle, negative pregnancy test, laparoscopy
- Are there any side effects of abortion pills ? How long will it take to...
- Cut caffeine, low BP, frequent bloating, extreme fatigue, slight pain in...
- What post surgical care is needed following a spinal cord stimulator...