Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Is it possible to naturally reduce one's height?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1 Question
Hi Doc, I am 26 years old and my height is 6 feet 3 inches. Though I consider it a God's gift, is it possible to naturally bring down my height by say 3 inches. I feel i'd be happier at 6 feet. Could sound a frivolous question but would look forward to a reply. Thanks
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 6 hours later
Thanks for writing in. By 26 yrs epiphyses would have fused. So no more change in height can be expected. Either the leg bones or vertebrae have to become shorter to get your height down. Im afraid both arent possible wothoit side effects. As a corolary many people who get osteoporosis have their vertebrae weakened which crumble resulting in reduced height. But they have mamy side effects like back pain and weakness in lower limbs. This is age related degeneration and hence undesirable. If you put on weight back bones may get compressed resulting in height reductio of upto inch but its unpredicatble and I guess no one wamts to be obese. Of course there aremt XXXXXXX drugs to reduce height at this age and certainly no physiologic, natural way to do so. Many successful men are tall and tall stature is associated with intellectual excellence and prosperity. These are positive aspects of being tall. You have to live with it and wothout any regrets. I wish there was somethimg that could help you
But there isnt any.
Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor