Is it possible to lose virginity without having sexual intercourse?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Is it at all possible for a women to loose her virginaty without having sexual intercourse and if so how would that be possible and would the person recall the incident due to blood or pain or any other. If not how would one know that they have actually lost their vaginaty ?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 55 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Virginity is the state of a person who has never engaged in sexual intercourse.
The traditional view is that virginity is only lost through vaginal penetration by the penis, consensual or non-consensual.

This is traditionally equated to the presence of an intact hymen, which is verified by either a physical examination (usually by a physician, who provided a certificate of virginity) or by a "proof of blood," which refers to vaginal bleeding that results from the tearing of the hymen after the first sanctioned sexual contact.

Researchers stress that the presence or absence of a hymen is not a reliable indicator of whether or not a female has been vaginally penetrated.The hymen is a thin film of membrane situated just inside the vulva which can partially occlude the entrance to the vaginal canal. It is flexible and can be stretched or torn during first engagement in vaginal intercourse. However, a hymen may also be broken during physical activity. Many women possess such thin, fragile hymens, easily stretched and already perforated at birth, that the hymen can be broken in childhood without the girl even being aware of it, often through athletic activities. One example is a slip while riding a bicycle may on occasion result in the bicycle's saddle-horn entering the introitus just far enough to break the hymen. Other activities are vigorous swimming, gymnastics, fingering while masturbation etc.

It is not always necessary that the girl would remember the incident, and the bleeding also varies from slight spots to true bleeding, which may or may not be noticed.

The only way to know whether the hymen is ruptured is to have a check up and proof given by a gynecologist.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.