Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Is it possible to increase interest in sex ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
Is it possible to be a person who just doesn't care for sex? I'm a 32 year old female and have been with my partner for just over 15 years. I basically never have the urge for sex. I feel I could honestly live my life without doing it again and the only reason I do is because I feel bad for my partner. It's been 3 months now and I will admit this is the longest we have gone since we met. What could the reasons be as to why I have no drive at all? I have never been a highly sexual person, not even at the start of our relationship, it was probably a once a week thing and as the years have gone on my drive has basically gone all together. I honestly feel like I hate the thought of sex and because of that I just don't want to do it if I don't like it. is the anyway I can get a sexual drive? or is this just me?

Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

Having a very low sex drive and libido at your age is not expected but it is a common occurrence in case of women. It can be due to the psychological make up of a female or may have some organic causes behind it like-
1. Anaemia- common in women because of iron loss during periods.
2. Alcoholism.
3. Drug abuse.
4. Major diseases such as diabetes.
5. Post-baby 'coolness'- post partum loss of libido.
6. Prescribed drugs, particularly anti depressants and tranquillisers.
7. Hyperprolactinaemia - a rare disorder in which the pituitary gland is overactive.
8. Other hormone abnormalities- decreased LH and androgenic hormones in the body.

You need to rule out all the organic causes behind the loss of libido with the help of your gynecologist. If no organic causes are found then psychological causes like -depression, stress and overwork, anxiety, hang-ups from childhood, past sexual abuse or rape, latent lesbianism, serious relationship problems with your partner, difficult living conditions, eg: sharing a home with parents or parents-in-law, etc.

A psychotherapist can help you in this regard.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor