Is it possible to improve count and motility using any medicine?

Posted on Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Men's Health
Question: how will my sperm count increase ( 5million/ml and 10% motility). I have bilateral grade1 varicocele of 3mm size.Serum Testosterone 340ng/dl. Normal FSH& LH levels. Is it possible to improve count & motility using any medicines or should i go for varicocele surgery? Now iam using Fertyl-m tablets and oligocare tablets from 3 months.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 43 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

First, I will talk about your sperm count. It is very much lower than ideal. For a successful pregnancy, minimum 20 million / ml sperm and motility of >50% is required which is lacking in your report. So, with this report, it is difficult to have a baby.

Now, a varicocele is just abnormal dilatation of the veins present in the spermatic cord. This veinous complex is very important for spermatogenesis. Because, this complex maintains the ideal temperature of scrotum and thus provides an appropriate environment for spermatogenesis.

As you have varicocele, it is very normal to have this type of testosterone (for your age and sex) level also complicate the situation.

You have to understand that you have to be treated for varicocele first. Because, only then a normal spermatogenesis will take place. There is no other option.

So, consult with a general surgeon for a thorough clinical examination, ordering any other investigation if required and for further management.

So, you have to go for varicocele surgery.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 8 minutes later
Hello, doctor thanks for your suggestion. I have one more query, that open surgery or micro surgery is best?. will varicocele embolization method will improve my condition.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 8 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.
Now a days, microsurgery is best option. But you should think it from your economical aspect.
Varicocele embolization method is helpful specially in post surgical vericocele.

If you have your answers, you can close this discussion.

Regards.
Dr. Das Arindam