Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Is it possible to have positive results in pregnancy test psot miscarriage with rise HCG levels ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
I was told I had a miscarriage on the second of this month. Since then my HCG levels have rised and I've had numrous postive pregnancy test. Is it possible that I'm still pregnant or that this is a new pregnancy?
Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 24 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Usually after a miscarriage the normal HCG levels(<5.0 mIU/ml that is of the non pregnant stage) take 4 to 6 weeks to return to normal after a pregnancy loss. It is also important that how the loss occured whether it was a D&C/spontaneous miscarriage/abortion etc and what was the HCG litre at that time.

But if the levels are rising continuoously then it is something unusual and requires evaluation. Nothing interferes with HCG except if you are on any medications.

Consider getting a Transvaginal USG recommended by your doctor which would give a clear picture whether the abortion is completed or not.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor