Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Is it possible to have high blood pressure for a 24 year old? Blurry eyes, low heart rate, fainting feeling and pain under the rib cage

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 2416 Questions
I'm 24so years old 6'5" 232lbs is it possible to have high blood pressure I've taken my blood pressure 4& times over a two week period and the average is 141/77 most of the time of stays in the 140 range on my bad days it spikes as high as 165 my gastroentorlogist also wants my blood sugar checked cuse every once in a while I get fantish feeling after I eat and sometimes when I get up from bed you can feel my heart slow way down and my eyes get blurry for a. min or less what could be wrong also I have minor to moderate pain under my lower left rib cage
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 7 hours later

Thanks for the query.

The important part here in your history is:-
1) The fainting feeling after you eat food, and
2) The blurred feeling in eyes when rising from the bed,
3) The mild or moderate pain below left rib cage.

Here I would like to ask you few questions:-
1) Is there a family history of blood pressure or heart disease in your family?
2) Is there a history of diabetes?
3) Do you get a symptoms bloated feeling in abdomen after meals?
4) Does the pain on left side increase or decrease after meals?

For your height of 6'5" the ideal body weight should be around 210-215 pounds so at 232 you are a bit over the normal range.

Normal blood pressure could vary between 100/70 to 140/90mmH. At the age of 24, though your average pressures are under normal limits, it can be controlled better. If you have any other symptoms like headache, the blood pressure readings are concerning.

As pressures are influenced by many factors like:-
-Diurnal variations (that is the variation during the day and night),
-Physical exercise like walking,running can lead to temporary increase,
-High cholesterol levels.
for accurate measurement, I suggest you to check the blood pressure at your doctors office after resting for 10mins.

If pressures are persistently high, you can lower it by destressing techniques such as physical exercise, yoga, transcendental meditation and so on.

Please write back with these answers to help you in a better way.

Awaiting your reply.

Take care and Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is it possible to have high blood pressure for a 24 year old? Blurry eyes, low heart rate, fainting feeling and pain under the rib cage 56 minutes later
Yes my grandpa died at 54 from a massive heart attack

I'm not sure on diabetes

No bloating
and the pain comes and goes all day sometimes it's a throbbing pain other times it's a stinging

And would you be concerned that blood sugar is high or low

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 2 hours later
Thanks for reverting back.
If there is a family history of heart disease then the chances of you getting a heart disease in later life is possible.
Now for thee explaination of your problems.Lets get this one at a time.
1-The faint feeling you get after meal is called Reactive hypoglycaemia or Post prandial hypoglycaemia which can occur with in 4 hours of having food.
This is a hypoglycaemia that is said to be caused sudden excessive release of insulin in a person following a meal or rather meal with high amount of carbohydrate.
There are different kinds of reactive hypoglycemia:-
a.Alimentary Hypoglycemia- it occurs in people who have had stomach surgery,
b.Hormonal Hypoglycemia seen in some cases of hypothyroidism,
c.Helicobacter pylori induced gastritis is also known to cause such hypoglycaemia
And few other causes like Congenital enzyme deficiencies and Idiopathic where the cause is not known.
To check if there is real hypoglycemia when symptoms occur a hyperglucidic breakfast test or ambulatory glucose testing is done.
2-The second thing you get is a blurred feeling or a temporary black out is due to postural hypotension that is the variation in BP in lying down and sitting.
This can happen due to hypovolemia(decreased intake of water),diseases, medications,and even heat exhaustion.
So you should drink enough water and if you get excess sweat then take eletrolyte powder with water to avoid it.
3-As for the mild to moderate pain below the rib cage it can be more likely due to gastritis or pancreatitis so discuss with your gastroenterologist.
For the reactive hypoglycaemia you can make some dietary and lifestyle changes like:-
-Eating small meals and snacks about every 3-4 hours
-Limit sugar intake,
-Eat high protein food including meat, poultry, fish, or non meat sources of protein, foods such as whole-grains, fruits, vegetables, and dairy products;
-Take food that is XXXXXXX in fiber,
-Try to get good sleep and reduce stress if any,
-Exercise regularly.
This should help you reduce your problems.
As recommended by your Gastroenterologist get the tests:-
-Fasting blood sugar,
-Post prandial sugar,
-Lipid profile that is blood test for cholesterol and triglycerides.
-Better get an ultrasound of abdomen may be needed if the pain is increasing in frequency or intensity.
With the test results you can consult your doctor and he will guide you with the further treatment.
Hope this answer is helpful to you.
Please accept this answer if there are no further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor