Is it possible to have friction burn on labia?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Is it possible thr I can have a friction burn on my labia inside? About 24 hours after intercourse i became sore and inspected.. I have been married for 8 years and both of us are monogamous, never had an std, doesn't look like pictures of any I have seen. My labia is extremely red and irritated, almost look like the skin has been peeled off like a burn. Wht to do?? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub which occurred after intercourse which you had prior to these symptoms or the second possibility is of an infection can be caused by bacteria or yeast. However the possibility of an infection is less in your case because infection is associated with change in vaginal discharge as well and it may change in color, consistency or smell.

From the symptoms it looks like the friction rub or chafing during intercourse has caused this swelling of labia especially if intercourse was done with less lubrication. The other reason can be an allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 hours later
Thanks for your answer.., is there anything I can put on this to help heal? Vaseline? Aloe? I also have mupirocin ointment from a prior prescripion? The redness has gone down a but but is still irritated and a little sore.
I will be sure to follow up with my ob/gyn and follow the instructions you gave

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can apply muprocin ointment and aloe vera gel to reduce the inflammation.
It is likely to subside in next 4-5 days.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.