question-icon

Is it possible to have enlarged heart in 3 weeks after an angiogram?

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015
Question: Good Morning, My husband (65) recently passed away. The autopsy concluded his death was caused by a cardiac event, enlarged heart, twice normal size and sever left coronary heart disease. However, 3 weeks prior to his death, he had an angiogram done at a hospital and the Cardiologist said he only had some narrowing of the arteries (30%) and other everything was fine! Nothing to worry about as far as his heart was concerned. He did have other medical issues. But, how in 3 weeks could his heart have changed so much.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (57 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
There is some inconsistency in teh reports!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I wish you the best during difficult moments like these.

I have reviewed the information fully. Angiography looks inside the arteries and not the size of the heart. I will understand if he were to miss saying the artery is big because he did an angiography and not a heart ultrasound. However, with the autopsy report saying he has sever coronary artery disease, they doo not add up. Three weeks is not sufficient fro stenosis to progress from 30% too sever which is usually over 70%. I think it would be reasonable to ask the doctors to reconcile the reports and tell you what went wrong and where because they do not add up.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Sorry once more for your loss. If there is something more you would like us to talk about, please let me know.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah