Is it possible to have a tonsil stone lodged in the epiglottis?

Dr. Lohit K

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: is it possible to have a tonsil stone lodged in the epiglottis?
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No. Laryngoscopy

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using XXXXXXX

Tonsil stone (Tonsilloliths) are clusters of calcified material that form in the crevices of the tonsils. They are present in tonsils and also are difficult to remove. So its very uncommon for dis lodgement of tonsillolith to other places like epiglottis.
Epiglottis does not contain crevices or any opening of large secretary glands and hence new stones cannot form over there.

There may be other problem like chronic irritation/infection that can cause some lesion in epiglottis. This can be very easily visualized by using indirect laryngoscopy. So to confirm laryngoscopy is very helpful.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Wish you a very happy life and good health.