Is it possible to get pregnant by having unprotected sex during fertile days?

Dr. Urszula Stanko

Posted on Mon, 2 Feb 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi,

I had my period on the 29th of dec with a cycle of around 33 days. I had intercourse yesterday however the condom slipped off. It was hanging out and removed it afterwards. Am i in huge risk of pregnancy? I am not taking contraceptive pills. And there are no emergency contraceptive pills available in uae. What must i do to make sure i dont get pregnant as i am not ready to have kids yet.

Ive been looking into taking contraceptive pills way back but i am not sure how to take it and what contraceptive i must take. Pls. Advise what i must take today to ensure unwanted pregnancy. Can you also help me how to take contracpetive pills and what brand must i take?
Answered by Dr. Urszula Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is a chance of pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX,

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns.

Your fertile days are between Jan-14-2015 and Jan-19-2015 so there is a chance of pregnancy if your partner ejaculated inside your vagina.

Please note that sperm ejaculated into a woman's vagina can live in a cervical mucus or upper genital tract for three to five days.

Plan B-One Step is available without a prescription. You have to take it as soon as possible but within 72 hours after you've had unprotected sex. This is a single tablet taken once.

You should be examined by your doctor within 3 weeks after taking Plan B One-Step.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Urszula Stanko 18 minutes later
Hi, plan b is banned in the country im staying right now. Do you have any other alternatives aside from it?
Answered by Dr. Urszula Stanko 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the only way is to go to the doctor for emergency contraception.

Detailed Answer:
Sorry, I did not read that you are from uae.

So if in your country there is no over-the-counter emergency contraceptive pill you have to go as soon as possible to your gynecologist so that he or she will prescribe you emergency contraceptive pill. There is no other way.

Contraceptive pill are usually given in pack that contains 21 pills, and you take one every day for three weeks. At the end of those three weeks, you break for a week. During those seven days, you'll have your period.If you will have a 28-day pack you will take a pill that contains no hormones for 7 days.

But to get this you also have to go to your doctor because only after examination he or she will choose which type is the best for you.

Thank You.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D