Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Is it possible to get a false negative on a pregnancy test ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
22, 5 feet tall. 195. Currently on adderall, clonazepam, and effexor.
I feel kicking in my stomach, i got my period last month, I have taken hpt and they were negative except for the first one I took. Is there any reason I would get a false negative? Like maibe my meds or ectopic pregnancy, or miscarriage?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 50 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Urine pregnancy tests can give false negative results. The hormone HCG responsible for pregnancy is not detectable in urine immediately and can take about 15 to 20 days after a missed period to show up so as to produce accurate results on urine pregnancy test. Also the urine sample should be preferably the morning concentrated one for the correct results to show.

If you have missed the periods this month and it has been more than 10 days from the expected date then consider getting a beta Blood HCG test done as it gives accurate result for pregnancy determination after about 11 days of a missed period.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor