Is it possible to get a false negative on a pregnancy test ?

Dr. Mitaly

Posted on Sun, 6 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: 22, 5 feet tall. 195. Currently on adderall, clonazepam, and effexor.
I feel kicking in my stomach, i got my period last month, I have taken hpt and they were negative except for the first one I took. Is there any reason I would get a false negative? Like maibe my meds or ectopic pregnancy, or miscarriage?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 50 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Urine pregnancy tests can give false negative results. The hormone HCG responsible for pregnancy is not detectable in urine immediately and can take about 15 to 20 days after a missed period to show up so as to produce accurate results on urine pregnancy test. Also the urine sample should be preferably the morning concentrated one for the correct results to show.

If you have missed the periods this month and it has been more than 10 days from the expected date then consider getting a beta Blood HCG test done as it gives accurate result for pregnancy determination after about 11 days of a missed period.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.