Is it possible to get X-ray radiation overdose from dental x-ray?

Dr. Dipti Singh

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Dental Health
Question: Hi Doctor ,
As part of a health checkup, I had to take a dental X-ray last Saturday (July 12) to know the position of my wisdom tooth that was growing horizontally. There was no pain or discomfort in my tooth.
It was a Panoramic X-ray, I was asked to bite onto a stub and the X-ray started couple of seconds into the XRAY I felt pain on my left Jaw (mandible) muscle. The aching feeling stayed all day, I was scared if it was radiation exposure, but my doctors confirmed that its could be muscle ache due to biting hard on the stub.
My ent doc prescribed me Mamin and Myoside Plus for five days.
there is still a sore feeling there in my jaw muscles, and it aches at times.

Kindly help me understand this doctor
1)Is it possible to get X-ray radiation overdose from dental x-ray
2)if It happens will it result in pain or inflammation, or what will be the symptoms
Is this something I have to worry about.

Kindly Advice Doctor.
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No 1 dental x-ray can not cause radiation overdose

Detailed Answer:
Hello, XXXX
Thank you for consulting with healthcaremagic.
This is Dr. Dipti Singh here to answer your query.
As you are mentioning that you went for a panoramic x - ray and after that only you experienced pain in your jaw, this can not be because of radiation, as the dose of radiation in dental x - ray is very very low, even it is so low that safe for pregnant ladies.

So there is nothing to worry about the radiation dose as it can not cause any soreness or distortion of jaw.

This pain of jaw can be because of the wisdom tooth only. Better you get the treatment of wisdom tooth done, and pain will he relieved after that.
Hope it will help you.
Thank you
Dr . Dipti Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Dipti Singh 20 hours later
Thank you Dr.
My concern as I already pointed out is that I dont have any pain or discomfort with my wisdom tooth.
Also if (God forbid it) the machine happened to give an undesirable dosage.how will it manifest as symptoms.is there a way to diagnoze it or will one time overdose doesnot matter.
I am having an uncomfortable sensation in my jaw area since then.

if possible kindly advice.also do forgive my ignorance as I am bit scared after this incident
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be just a muscular spasm

Detailed Answer:
Hello,XXXX

As I mentioned earlier also that the dosage of a dental x - ray that is OPG is very less, as there are safety measures inside the machine only, which controls the dosage of radiation.
You will have the symptoms of overdoses when you will get 60 to 70 times more dose in a single radiation.
And this happens in radiotherapy for cancer patients in which patient suffer from rednesss and burning sensation of oral mucosa, decreased salivation, generalised caries of all teeth. And they are so severe that patients have to go for multiple management for symptoms.
This uncomfortable sensation can be because of spasm of muscles also. So continue with the medications which the doctor prescribed.
And please do not worry about the dose of radiation as it is not responsible for the problem of jaw.
Hope it will help you.
Thank you.
Dr. Dipti Singh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj