Is it possible to donate a piece of ovary to sister so that she can get pregnant?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi,
I am 37 years old. I had a bone marrow transplant at age 19 due to CML (leukemia). My donor was my sister who at the time was only 18 months old. She is now 19. Due to the chemo, I am in menopause. I do still have my uterus and one ovary. I have read about a few cases where a piece of ovary was taken from a donor (twin sisters) sister and given to another sister. The donated piece of ovary was implanted and the sister began having her menstrual cycles again and was able to get pregnant. Is this really possible?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
Transplantation of ovarian tissue from your twin sister might help in resuming the periods but how far it will be successful in your case, can be detected only after a detailed evaluation.
Since you had your menopause at the age of 19, it is difficult for your periods to resume after so many years.
The results of such a surgery are not very encouraging.
You can discuss about it with your gynecologist who after a detailed investigations can tell you about the prognosis.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.