Is it possible to develop purpura after a 2 hour car drive?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: Is it serious to develop purpura after a -2 hour car ride. It went away after a week. I continued my cross country trip and it did not return. P
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
possible no serious causes but should be assessed

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that it may be ecchymosis or pupura.

Ecchymosis is bruising resulting in skin discoloration due to damage to underlying blood vessels.
If the areas were small (between 3 mm to 10 mm/1 cm), and the borders distinct/clear then may be pupura.

If larger and the borders not clear or defined, then may be ecchymosis.

Age or medical history is not known but pupura can be due to different causes such as:(1) history of long term high blood pressure,
(2) damage to blood vessels due to age,
(3)disorders of platelets or blood clotting,
(4) previous radiation treatment,
(5) vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels).

Ecchymosis can also be due to blood disorders . Also caused by kidney disease, liver disease, leukemia or myeloma.

While these types of bruising can occur on their own with no serious cause, it would be best for you to have blood tests done to make sure that there are no underlying conditions.
Most persons would not experiencing significant bruising

Bloods such as complete blood count with a blood smear, ESR (checks for inflammation in the body) liver and kidney function tests.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions