Is it possible to detect bacteria and pus in semen while taking antibiotics?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Question: My doctor asked me to do a semen culture for suspected infection in prostate . 1. How long the sample will last in order than would be in good condition . 2. Is possible to detect bacteria and pus in semen while taking antibiotics ?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX
I hope the following helps.

The results of a semen analysis can be greatly affected by how the semen sample is collected. Please make sure you understand and follow these instructions closely. If you have any questions, comments, or inquiries, call the laboratory for assistance.
1. Abstain from intercourse/ejaculation for at least 3-5 days (average 4 days).
2. If possible, urinate before collecting the semen sample. This step is very important when obtaining a semen sample for microbiology culture. Because normal bacterial flora inhabits the genital tract, passing urine before collecting a semen sample serves to flush-out the normal flora thus preventing possible bacterial contamination.
3. Wash your hands and penis with clean warm water. Dry well, water/urine kills sperm cells.
4. Twist open the cover of the sample cup provided and place the cover up-side-down on a clean surface.
Note: Sterile containers are used for semen samples requiring cultures while the regular, non-sterile containers are used for samples requiring semen analysis only.
5. Collect the entire sample / ejaculate by masturbation into the appropriate container provided. Take your time, stress can also affect the semen parameters. Do not use regular condoms, lubricants, or sexual intercourse as a means of collecting the semen sample as they may either kill sperm or result in improper collection.
7. Protect sample from extreme conditions such as light (sunlight included), temperature changes (keep it warm, not hot). Do not drop or shake. Do not place in microwave nor refrigerator.
8. Deliver sample to the laboratory within 60 minutes after collection.

Answer for Q.2.

The antibiotics may alter results but it is worthwhile doing the test if clinically indicated.

Best regards
DR GS