Is it possible to conceive while on Meprate tablets?

Posted on Wed, 13 May 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Is it possible to conceive when you're taking Meprate tablets? Or do your loose a cycle? The doctor has asked me to take these for 21 days to regulate periods. Wanted to know if ovulation and conception can happen normally during these 21 days?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes. Ovulation and conception can happen.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Meprate is not a contraceptive pill. It helps in regulating the cycles. Conception and ovulation can happen while taking meprate. After taking Meprate for 21 days, when you will stop taking it, you will have your normal periods in next 3-5 days.
The chances of conception are present while taking it.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer and clarification. Couple of follow-up questions-

1. When will ovulation r likely take place on this 21 day meprate cycle? In other words, when should intercourse be timed? (Started taking meprate on 13th April)

2. I found slight bleeding/ spotting yesterday and was surprised as I assumed there won't be any bleeding during the course of meprate. Is it normal to bleed lightly during this medicine? (Could potentially be post intercourse bleeding as well)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Meprate does not induce ovulation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
1. The date of ovulation depends on your previous periods and the length of the cycle. It is better to get ovulation studies done by ultrasound scan to know the exact dates. Ovulation usually happens only in regular cycles. Meprate itself does not induce ovulation. So the date cannot be calculated according to consumption of Meprate.
2. The mild bleeding can be due to intercourse or due to mild hormonal imbalance. Continue taking Meprate and the bleeding will subside on its own.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 hours later
What about Primolutn ? Is it possible to conceive while taking these 10mg tablets?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is similar to Meprate.

Detailed Answer:
Primolut N is similar to Meprate. It also does not induce ovulation. If you want to conceive it is better to consult a gynecologist who will prescribe you proper medicines for that. Self medication can be dangerous.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN