Is it possible for the vagus nerve stimulation to affect the ECG?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: I may have a type 1 or type 2 AV Block or it may be a vega nerve irritation. Is this possible for the vega nerve to affect the ECG timings consistent with an AV block of either type??
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I will like to tell you that vagus nerve stimulation leads to slowing of heart rate . Generally sinus bradycardia results .

First-degree atrioventricular block is usually not associated with any symptoms and is generally an incidental finding on electrocardiography (ECG). People with first-degree AV block may be due to high vagal tone on the other hand second degree AV block may not be associated vagal stimulation and it is at times symptomatic also .

Dr.Shruti