Is it possible for adults to have cradle-cap dermatitis?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi is it possible for adults to have cradle cap i been to many derm. That prescribe me things or tell me to use tgel that works for three days. I can not wash my hair more than once a week do to my hair drying out and falling out i get oil treatment once a month olive oil and wash my hair about 3-4 times a month any solutions? I have pictures
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pictures? history?

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for posting on HCM.
I can understand your concern regarding the skin condition.
Yes adults too can have condition similar to cradle-cap dermatitis but a term seborrheic dermatitis is usually used for adults.
I would insist you to send pictures for better understanding.
Send pictures to YYYY@YYYY with the subject titled 'ATTN Dr Hardik Pitroda'.
Also mention the following points in history:
1. Total duration ?
2. Sites of body involved?
3. Associated symptoms- itching etc?
4. Seasonal variation?

Hope you will revert soon with the required details.

Thank you and take care
Dr Hardik Pitroda
M.D Dermatology

Follow-up: Is it possible for adults to have cradle-cap dermatitis? 6 hours later
Just my head abd its worst during the winter i had it my whole life and i believe my father has it im an anemic but other than that very health. I dont drink water but do drink flavored water once a dat

Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Clobetasol, salicylic acid, sertaconazole lotions

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for photographs.
It definitely looks like seborrheic dermatitis but I would also like to keep another differential diagnosis of scalp psoriasis.
Seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic inflammatory skin condition involving sebaceous glands and is dictated by a fungus, Malesezzia. While the closely mimicking scalp psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune inflammatory skin condition.
The only means of differentiating them is based on actual examination and skin biopsy.
I would insist you to consult a good dermatologist for proper management.
As such the treatment remains almost the same in either of case.
If I was your treating dermatologist, I would recommend a 10-15 day course of oral antifungal drugs like ketoconazole.
Also apply a clobetasol-salicylic acid combination lotion and antifungal lotion like sertaconazole twice a day for few weeks.
Use a salicylic acid and ketoconazole shampoo twice a week for scalpwash.
Avoid excess use of hair oil or hair cosmetics.
Antihistaminics like Benadryl can be taken for itching as required.
I am sure with this treatment you will be fine soon.
I would request you to keep me posted about your condition.
Hope the answer was useful.
Wish you best of health.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda

Follow-up: Is it possible for adults to have cradle-cap dermatitis? 25 minutes later
Thank you so much and ill make an appt with a dermatologist soon and follow up!!

Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome...

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.

Dr Hardik Pitroda