question-icon

Is it possible for a child to get a ring worm infection?

Posted on Fri, 4 Jun 2021
Question: Not sure if my child has ring worm, or if it’s another type of rash
No complaints, no itching.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis (44 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
it looks a lot like ringworm

Detailed Answer:

although watching a photo is not the most accurate way to diagnose skin disorders, it does look a lot like ringworm infection. A dermatologist can confirm it by examining skin scrapings with potassium hydroxide. Sometimes the picture leaves no doubt to the dermatologist.

If the diagnosis of Tinea is confirmed then local treatment with azoles would probably be prescribed to your child. You should contact either a dermatologist or a paediatrician to get more information. Miconazole (local) can be given to children above the age of 2.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis