Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Is it okay to go for chlamydia and gonorrhea test after 19 days of unprotected sex?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12711 Questions
Hello. My question is in regards to testing for chlamydia and gonorrhea. I was tested 19 days after unprotected sex for both with a urine test at a local clinic. I asked at the time if 19 days was enough time for the test to be accurate and was told it was. I was wanting a second opinion, to make sure that they are corrrect and that either or both std would have shown up on the urine test. The results did come back as negative. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Gonorrhoea would present with painful urination, pus like discharge with urine, pain in lower abdomen.
Chlamydia might present with burning or itching around the genitalia, painful urination, cloudy or small amounts of clear discharge.
The window period is the time between contact and the a test being able to detect any infection.
For gonorrhoea it is 2 to 7 days.
For chlamydia it is 14 to 21 days but can be longer.
Since you were tested 19 days after the exposure and there are no symptoms, there is no need to worry.
Just to remove the doubt, you can get yourself re tested for chlamydia after one more week.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor