Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Is it ok to take metrogyl and iblex for no bowel movement after ruptured appendix surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3008 Questions
Just had surgery for ruptured appendix no stools for 3days arthroscopic surgery was preformed things started moving no problem been home 2 days now doctor proscribed METROGYL 400mg three times a day also IBLEX 500 mg 4 times daily. Now I am having diahorreah type symptoms approx 7 times today I am 54 yrs old 173cm and was 83kg in weight male in reasonable good health. I have taken IBLEX before no problems
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Might be antibiotic associated diarrhoea Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Welcome to XXXXXXX You are taking antibiotics to prevent and treat appendicular infection and development of abscess. And you developed diarrhoea. I keep following possibilities in your case : 1. Antibiotic associated diarrhoea 2. Pseudomembranous colitis 3. C . difficile infection These antibiotics themselves cause antibiotic associated diarrhea. This occurs because antibiotic also kills the normal flora of our intestine which is a helpful flora. An other possibility is of pseudomembranous colitis , if you have been on these antibiotics for long. I recommend addition of pro biotics like lactovit / Vizylac / sporolac. If your diarrhea doesn't resolve , you may require testing for C.difficle infection. I keep possibility of C.difficle infection and pseudomembranous colitis lower in the list. Currently I advise addition of pro biotic. I hope I am able to solve your query , if you have any further query , you may ask me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor