Is it ok to increase the dose of Metformin?

Question
I am Diabetic type 2. i have been taking metmorfin for 10 years. is works well and helps me avoid gain weight. can i increase dose to 2.500 mgs x day ?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can increase to maximum if needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Metformin is one of the best medications for diabetes. It has been around for a long time and has proven its effectiveness.

As you stated, it prevents weight gain (can actually help with weight loss in some persons) and does not cause low blood sugars.

The maximum possible daily dose of the normal metformin (not the sustained release) is 3000 mg a day.
The maximum possible daily dose of metformin xr (the sustained release version) is 2500 mg a day.

You can consider increasing your daily dose. It would further help with your blood sugar control.
Some persons have more gastrointestinal side effects with higher doses but this may not occur with you especially as you have been using it for a long time.

It is best to speak to your doctor about changing the dose. He or she would need to be aware of and document any medication changes.

Summary: (1)can be increased , best to speak to your doctor so change can be documented
(2)maximum dose would vary according to the type of metformin

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions