Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

145 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is it ok to apply sunscreen on folliculitis of arm?

Jan 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 7647 Questions
I am recovering from folliculitis on my arm (happened after getting tattooed). I will be on vacation in the sun in approx. one month. Is it okay to wear sunscreen and what is the best kind to use on it?
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it

Yes, it would be absolutely ok to use a sunscreen out on a holiday where you expect to get a lot of sun exposure.

Ideally you should use a broad spectrum sunscreen that which offers both UV B as well as UV A protection through out the day. A sunscreen with minimum SPF 30 would be adequate. It should be re applied every 2-3 hours, whenever out in the sun, insufficient quantity to offer maximum protection.

Moreover it should be water resistant so that it stays effective even after swimming and does'nt gets washed off.

A sunscreen that contains inorganic or physical filters like zinc oxide, titanium dioxide are broad spectrum and therefore preferable.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is it ok to apply sunscreen on folliculitis of arm? 9 minutes later
Thank you. Is there any risk of irritating the hair follicles with the sunscreen, causing the folliculitis bumps to come back?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use a gel based sunscreen product

Detailed Answer:

I Don't think so. As a precaution don't use a very oily or greasy sunscreen product. A gel based sunscreen or aquagel based sunscreen would be fine.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist