Is it ok to apply sunscreen on folliculitis of arm?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am recovering from folliculitis on my arm (happened after getting tattooed). I will be on vacation in the sun in approx. one month. Is it okay to wear sunscreen and what is the best kind to use on it?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sunscreen

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it

Yes, it would be absolutely ok to use a sunscreen out on a holiday where you expect to get a lot of sun exposure.

Ideally you should use a broad spectrum sunscreen that which offers both UV B as well as UV A protection through out the day. A sunscreen with minimum SPF 30 would be adequate. It should be re applied every 2-3 hours, whenever out in the sun, insufficient quantity to offer maximum protection.

Moreover it should be water resistant so that it stays effective even after swimming and does'nt gets washed off.

A sunscreen that contains inorganic or physical filters like zinc oxide, titanium dioxide are broad spectrum and therefore preferable.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 9 minutes later
Thank you. Is there any risk of irritating the hair follicles with the sunscreen, causing the folliculitis bumps to come back?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use a gel based sunscreen product

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I Don't think so. As a precaution don't use a very oily or greasy sunscreen product. A gel based sunscreen or aquagel based sunscreen would be fine.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T