Is it normal to have watery vaginal discharge while taking Macrobid for UTI?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I'm on Macrobid for a severe UTI, I have taken all but one tablet. I am having very watery vaginal discharge with no odor, and at one point it was greenish like BV. Is this normal? I get UTI's quite frequently but have never experienced this.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Side effect of macrobid Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Macrobid contains nitrofurantoin. It can cause side effects like altered vaginal discharge and itching etc. Intake of macrobid for prolonged periods can lead to alteration of vaginal flora and vaginal fungal infection. That can be one cause for your problem. Increased vaginal discharge can be seen in physiological conditions like during ovulation, before onset of menstruation etc. Macrobid can change the color of the urine, but greenish vaginal discharge is somewhat abnormal. So, if the discharge persists, consult gynecologist once and get examined. If the discharge appears as pathological, you can take treatment for it according to doctor's advice. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 minutes later
Thank you very much! I'm wondering, is it possible that Macrobid could mask the smell of BV?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: May alter the urine odor Detailed Answer: Hi, You are welcome. Nitrofurantoin may give some odor to urine. That may be masking the odor of vaginal discharge. Take care.