Is it normal to have watery discharge from eyes in an infant?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: We are experiencing water discharge from my 3 months old daughter both eyes.Is it normal?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This requires examination by eye doctor and lacrimal massaging.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care Magic

I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I will be answering your question.

I reviewed your history.
Watery discharge from eyes in neonates and infants is a common problem. This occurs in most of the small babies as tear drainage system is not well developed and will develop completely by 3-5 months.

However no need to be worried as in more than 90% of children this problem will spontaneously improve by 3-5 months.

The usual treatment protocol followed is lacrimal massaging for the first three to four months. Here gentle pressure is applied medial to the eye between nose and eye with index finger with at least 30-40 strokes divided as 10 strokes 4 times a day. Antibiotic eye drops like Moxifloxacin eye drops are used if there is grayish or yellow discharge.

Most of the babies respond to this treatment. If it fails then lacrimal syringing is performed by eye doctor and this can be repeated 2-4 times over 2-3 months.

If the watering problem continues even after 6 months then intervention in the form of probing is considered and it is done by eye doctor usually in the age of 6-12 months.

Since your baby is 3 months old you need to start lacrimal massaging if not started earlier and need to consult your eye doctor once for confirmation of diagnosis.
Then treatment can be planned accordingly.

However no need to be worried as this is a common problem and most of the babies do improve without treatment or with lacrimal massaging.

Hence I advice you to consult your eye doctor for examination and advice accordingly.

Hope this answers your question and the information is helpful to you.
Do write back to me for further questions.

Thank you
With regards
Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist