Is it normal to have unusual color to ear wax in an elderly person?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had ear wax removed by a candle technique. It was totally soft and white. I'm 56. Never done this before. The woman said she had never seen this colour wax before, No odour???? Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it's normal...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

Wax can be of any color and consistency. It varies from golden brown to grayish white. It can be hard or soft depending upon the skin's ability to secrete the sebum and the climatic conditions.

Do not worry! It's absolutely normal.

Hope this answers your query; revert back to me if you have any follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj